Buying & Selling
Junk Silver Coins
90 Percent Silver Coins
40 Percent Silver Coins
American Rarities’ philosophy of razor-thin margins allows us to be the strongest buyer and seller of all varieties of 40 percent silver coins and 90 percent silver coins produced before 1965. These US silver coins are often called junk silver coins, as they have little extra collector value and are of lower purity than modern bullion coins. If you are interested in buying or selling any other types of bullion material, please visit our gold and silver bullion page.
Pricing for 90 percent silver coins and 40 percent silver coins is based on current silver spot price. Our silver coin buyers purchase silver quarters, silver dimes, and silver half dollars of all types, in any quantity. Whether you want to sell junk silver coins or buy junk silver coins, just provide us with some specifics and our silver coin buyer/bullion specialist will contact you with an to-the-minute offer.
Key Date and Rare Date Coins
to Watch For in Your 90% Silver Coinage
Just because your 90 percent silver coins may be referred to as “junk silver,” that does not mean they do not have some numismatic value. Countless times, our coin buyers have found rarer, more valuable coins mixed in with a batch of otherwise mundane 90 percent silver quarters and 90 percent silver dimes. It is virtually impossible to list every date and mint mark with additional collector value, but we can help! When we evaluate your junk silver collection, we will be sure to check for any numismatic coins that may be included, and pay you the proper collectible premium.
90% Silver Dimes
- Liberty Head or Barber Silver Dime – Barber dimes are fairly common, but some key dates (1901-S, for example) carry significant numismatic value above their silver content.
- Winged Liberty or Mercury Silver Dime – an iconic US coin, the Mercury dime was minted for nearly three decades, but specific dates and mint marks, such as the 1916-D, still carry considerable collector value.
- Roosevelt Silver Dime (Pre-1965) – you are safe here, there are virtually no key dates for these silver coins. Sell away!
90% Silver Quarters
- Liberty Head or Barber Silver Quarter – an 1896-S or 1901-S Barber quarter can command a considerable premium over other Barber quarters from that era.
- Standing Liberty Silver Quarter – 1916, the first year of production of the Standing Liberty quarter, had very limited mintage, resulting in a greatly increased value.
- Washington Silver Quarter (Pre-1965) – while these US silver coins are very common, some rare dates and mint marks such as the 1932-D are quite valuable.
90% Silver Half Dollars
- Liberty Head or Barber Silver Half Dollar – the 1892-O Barber half dollar is an especially valuable coin compared to other dates.
- Walking Liberty Silver Half Dollar – almost every mintage of the Walking Liberty half dollar coin from 1921 draws a considerable numismatic premium. Although the designs are similar, do not confuse the Walking Liberty half dollar with the modern American Silver Eagle bullion coin.
- Franklin Silver Half Dollar – while not as valuable as some older coins, some dates and mint marks for the Franklin half dollar still draw additional value. The 1950 proof issue can be considered the most valuable coin in this series.
- 1964 Kennedy Half Dollar – as this was the only year this coin was produced in 90% silver, there are no key dates here.
Get an Free Offer to Buy Or Sell Now
Email, text, or call us with your junk silver coin inventory list or want list. Whether you are selling or buying 90% silver coins and 40% silver coins our prices are the most competitive on the market.